Friday, January 30, 2009

My morning on Facebook

Okay, I'll admit it. I have a problem.

And no, I'm not going to Rehab. No, no, no.

Aside from the bad Amy Winehouse reference, I had an interesting experience on Facebook this morning.

I usually remain "offline" to limit the chat boxes that come up. I have stuff to do. Like stalk people. I don't WANT to talk.

Welp, I had been online last night, and forgotten to default back to "offline." I get a popped up box from a woman I used to work with. I haven't talked to her since my last days at my last job, in August 2006. So, you can imagine my surprise when her name popped up:

Christina: Hey
Allison: Hey you! How are you?
Christina: Really bad
Allison: Oh, no...
Christina: I was mugged at gun point in london lastnight
Allison: Oh my god! Are you OK?!
Christina: Not at all. Those muggers took my wallet and bank card.
Allison: Oh, my god... is there anything I can do?
Christina: I need help at the moment with a return ticket back home.

Immediately, I am suspicious. She has a husband, and she was a fairly popular person back at work. I'm on her list of people to help? Was she that desperate?
And what was going on? She was talking weird for Christina. Christina is always happy-go-lucky. I suppose if I was mugged, though, I'd be weird, too.

Allison: Holy cow... I'm just sitting here, stunned. I can't believe it. How awful. If I can make a phone call for you or anything, I will.
What do you need for a return ticket?
Christina: Thanks have been able to get some money wired to me here i need $650 to complete it

Ah. The ol' "wire me money" trick! What are you. Nigerian?
Then, I remembered that she's allergic to animals. Pet dander, that is.

Allison: How is your dog? Do you want me to go to your house and check on him?
Christina: No, a neighbor is doing that

Funny.

Allison: OK. To wire money... How do I that? What number?
Christina: you can wire it online to me here
Allison: k, how?
Christina: www.westernunion.com
Allison: ok, then what?

Meanwhile, I call a mutual friend of ours and ask him if Christina is in London. I explained what was going on, and he said, "Nope, her account was hacked into a while ago."
Ah, good times.

Christina: Fill it with your information. You would wire it to my name and address here in london.
Allison: k
Christina: Address; London uk Kentish town
Allison: No street number? Do it under your name?
Christina: 6 bas street
Allison: ok
Allison: I'm at work, give me a few minutes
Christina: OK
Allison: Oh, and by the way, I know your account has been hacked and I think there's a special place in hell for a lowlife like you.

Christina is offline.

Hm, that's too bad.

Moral of the story: The world may not have gotten worse in terms of crime, but it has gotten easier to commit those same crimes. Just do it under the guise of a friend of the victim.

2 comments:

Joubert said...

Moral of story: stay away from Facebook.

PS I hope you get your 7 bed house. :)

starttothink said...

Hm. Good point. ;)